Friday, November 6, 2009

My poker diary...entry #1

As you may well have realized, A lot of what will get posted here will be about my life and my background playing poker.  Concurrently, I have started keeping a Poker Diary.  For those of you who care, this first entry should get you up to speed on my life.  Enjoy:

OK, so I’ve decided to keep a poker diary.  Since I’m not that interested in presenting my progress to others, this is for my own good, I can skim through potentially learn a few things (haha, then I post it online within a week of writing it).  Lets summarize my poker ‘career’ up to this point.  I started on Bodog.  I think I deposited $300 or so in order to get the maximum bonus at the time.  I played and I played bad (which is typical on Bodog IMO).  I played down to under $10 and that was the end of my frustration.  I vowed never to reload, if I couldn’t figure it out then don’t waste the money.  I read one book to get me started (Super System II of course).  I skimmed it really but it must have set something off in the ol thinker because I didn’t have to redeposit…ever (knock on wood).  I built that up slowly grinding penny cash and single table SNGs, and I mean GRIND.  When I finally made enough money I took that original 300 out, so, I’m playing w/ other's money so to speak.  To sum it up, so far I’ve made about 35K in profit or so, played w/ some of the best in the world, and had fun doing it.  Do I play for the fun of it, no, do I play for the thrill, no, I play for money.  Luckily, I don’t depend on it, but I set goals and I want to hit them.  My most notables include:

  •  My first 4 figure score: 1400 or so- Jan 2008- Don’t quite recall the feeling but followed it up 2 days later w/ a 900 win and moved forward from there.
  • Breaking the 5000 mark- March 08, took a 44$ tourney for 5500.  That was a real rush.
  • My first big cash on FullTilt- July 2008- Took it down for 5400.  Needed that because I was pretty much starting over w/ the grinding small stakes on that site.  The next day I finaled an Omaha Hi/lo w/ Jon Turner and some other pro who are mad lucky… I was learning as I went.
  • My first (and only) 5 figure score- May 2009-  2nd in the Bodog 100K.  Talk about a rush.  I think I may have misplayed 1 hand QKs that cost me the tourney and 10K though.  Learned form that one. 
  • Finaling the 100K again the very next time that I played it...taking down 4th and 7K...as always, feel like I should have won it.
  • Busting Huck Seed in the FTOP event- nothing special, AA vs KK.  Should have went on to final that one but alas…a cold run of cards ran me over.
This entry then starts going into hands that I played tonight that you may or may not be interested in.

This kinda catches me up with where I am now although I'll post my an entry from an older blog about my first WSOP Circuit event cash next week.

Until then:  Good luck in everything that you attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment